Game Jam

AndrewSeversAndrewSevers Developer
edited August 2015 in Indie Game Development
Heyo everybody! I just thought about making a little thread here about game jams.

This weekend @Bsevers18 and I will be participating in the Ludum Dare 33 competition. This means that both of us will be tasked with designing and developing a game by ourselves over the course of 48 hours. Now, when I say by ourselves I mean that the competition only allows for solo entrants which means that both @Bsevers18 and I will develop our own games.

I am certainly no artist and have terrible audio skills, but I hoping my programming skills can carry me through and I will be left with an ok game. Both @Bsevers18 and I have joined together to make Jam games before but we have yet to do it each on our own.

I was wondering if anyone else has participated in a Jam or was thinking of trying one out. If you have participated in a jam then what kind of games did you make?

EDIT: I will also be doing updates throughout the jam from my twitter. 
Burgy

Comments

• BurgyBurgy Backpack Carrier
    Oooh that's exciting. I am an aspiring programmer and know very little right now, so I'm not confident in my skills enough to enter a jam but I'm still taking courses in hope to get better and be able to sometime.
    :)
  • I've always used jams as a way to try my hand at something that I've never done before. That usually ends up with the games being fairly dopey or rather simple. If anything it is just a good way to get some quick experience and try out some fresh new ideas.

I would say that if you still want to participate you could always take on more of an aide or designer role. That way you could join in and help and also potentially learn from the others in the group. I've known groups of 10+ people and I am sure that the knowledge and experience within that group varied quite heavily.
    Burgy
  • AndrewSeversAndrewSevers Developer
    edited August 2015
    Well, here is the result of the competition/jam. Be aware that I am no artist and if you are wearing headphones you may want to turn down the volume. 

The source is all there if anyone wants to look at it. It is commented well enough and it even mentions how looping a 3-4 second sound as the game's "soundtrack" definitely won't be annoying... surely. Hint... it is totally annoying.

The jam was fun, but I think that this will probably be the last time a do a jam/competition solo. I would much rather just focus on the code than the other stuff. That and the fact that I only use GameMaker for jams so I have to re-learn it every 3-4 months...

Next time I would most likely end up teaming up with @Bsevers18 again so we can make something with a bit more quality like our last jam game. Oh yeah, and teaming up meant way less stress.
    MattDonatelli
  • YOU GUYS DID AWESOME! I'm lucky to work with such talented peeps!
  • KevalierKevalier Developer
    edited August 2015
    Ben's game had some hilariously adorable and heart-wrenching animations, while Andrew's was basically that episode from Yugioh with this guy:

It was awesome.
  • Kevalier said:

Ben's game had some hilariously adorable and heart-wrenching animations, while Andrew's was basically that episode from Yugioh with this guy:

It was awesome.
    We have weird amount of Yu-gi-oh talk going on the office lately. Maybe it is all the SaltyBet we have been watching...
  • It was super fun. here's a link to the one I made.
    http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-33/?action=preview&uid=45313

and @Burgy I'm all artist, so all the programming I've learned is through tutorials. It's pretty easy to make little fun games!
    I'd suggest checking out Shaun Spaulding's videos if you're interested :D
    He really makes it easy to get started!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/999Greyfox
    Burgy
  • BurgyBurgy Backpack Carrier
    Bsevers18 said:

It was super fun. here's a link to the one I made.
    http://ludumdare.com/compo/ludum-dare-33/?action=preview&uid=45313

and @Burgy I'm all artist, so all the programming I've learned is through tutorials. It's pretty easy to make little fun games!
    I'd suggest checking out Shaun Spaulding's videos if you're interested :D
    He really makes it easy to get started!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/999Greyfox
    Thanks a lot! I'll be sure to check it out soon!